Re: Zipper , an example (software testing)

Charles Zwicky wrote:
>> Actually I don't think Roland have a lot of bugs in their gear.
>>
>> I'd be fairly certain they have guys to systematically test their
>> products.
>> ( but who wouldn't conceive what LDers would want to do with it)
>

> But the major complaints so far with the RC-50 have to to with audio
> interruptions, either from recording or switching loops. How is it that
> the Lexicon Jamman has no such issues and the RC-50 does?

oh, there's issues with the JamMan.
Just not quite so obvious as the RC-50 blank spaces.

Bob Sellon (designer) uses the JamMan for his music.

> Too many
> features and not enough DSP / memory to go around.

Probably they wrote the code without thinking seamless playback was an
issue.
Then it would be a big expensive re-write to fix it.

> Is this a bug? The
> official reply is "If you don't like it, don't use that feature".
> Defining a 'bug' is tricky.

I think it would be pushing it to describe the RC-50 gap as a feature.
( Although I've heard speculation along those lines) .

> Sometimes a 'bug' is let through because
> it's not considered a problem in normal use. On the other hand... The EH
> 16 second delay has a time stretch feature. It's really wacky and can be
> used with the tempo slider in real time to add odd textures to the loop.
> The designer excluded this feature on the 2880 because he didn't like
> the sound.  In one sense this 'feature' was a 'bug' and 'fixed' in the
> next product.

More complicated with the EDP. In loop3 there were bugs that users loved,
so they became features in Loop4.

andy butler