Re: fretless guitar looping

On 21 mar 2007, at 20.03, Brian Kupferschmid wrote:

> Again with the crazy sounds, was that all fretless?

Yes. My telecaster, reborn and stripped from sinful frets.

> it sounded like Sax in there too.

No sax. But guitar played alternatively through seven different VST
effect chains, before looped in Mobius.

> After hearing this,
> it made me dig out my cheap ass guitar that has a
> fretless neck on it.

Cool! Fretless is the thing :-)

> I will say that when you get
> your sustainer installed, your possibilies will open
> up.

Yes. I have ordered one and can hardly wait for it to get here. The
Sustainiac is the reason I I'd like to pick up fretless guitar
playing again. Last time I "destroyed" a guitar was in 1980 and I was
dissatisfied with the short sustain. And since I have focused on wind
instruments quite a lot lately I have really become frustrated with
the lack of continuos tone control you have with traditional guitars.
Sustainiac is going to be a great adventure! ;-)))

> I have a song that I plaed with my sustainer
> equipped Ibanez, only I used a slide and added an
> octave up pitch to the sound, it sounded like a cross
> between a flute and violin, the phrase I played
> sounded very Eastern.  As soon as I can get my main pc
> up and running, I'll send you the link to where that
> song is, it's not live looping, but the parts of the
> song were composed with loops I made.

Nice! Post a note when you find it! INteresting that you think you
played "Eastern" on that fretless! That's what attracts me as well,
the micro tonalities you are free to create by ear. No limiting
instrument hardware, just the pure vibrations and the way you chose
to react to them.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)