volume question

when i play a "looping" tune in my i-tunes i get: volume control in the eq section, a volume control in the i-tunes itself, a volume control on my usb port, a volume control on my srm 450's.....it is a similiar situation when i loop thru my system: guitar has volume controls all my little boxes have volume (gain) controls, the mixer has volume on each channel and a master volume then the speakers have seperate volume controls also.....i have experimented often with different settings and was wondering, is there a "rule" regarding volume settings, i.e. what should be the hottest?.....thnaks for any advice.....michael
n.p. jeffery collins guitar sonatas vol.1.....thnaks jeff very interesting music, more after a few more listens.
www.ct-collective.com
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzepmeci/
http://www.myspace.com/klobuchar10