Re: busking

Moondog! The Human Jukebox! Baby Gramps! The unholy trinity!

I saw Moondog in NYC too... circa 1970. Have you ever heard his record? It's wonderful.

"Machines were mice and men were lions once upon a time..." He was a real wonderful wacko sage of the highest order. One of my band mates bought a poem from him for a buck. One of the few things I regret in my life is that I didn't. But he's a busker who did alright. He made it into a Beatles song!

I busked at Fisherman's Wharf when The Human Jukebox was at his peak - I think it was early 70's. I loved it and at the time it was money which was so elusive back then.

Baby Gramps? I think he's possibly one of the best entertainers I've ever met. And he has some amazing songs like Skillet of Snakes. I did a film score with Gramps. I think it was around 2000 or so. Bob Dylan is a fan of Gramps!

For me busking carries me back to a different time when folks weren't in such a hurry. I don't find them annoying like some panhandlers are. So usually when I see someone busking I donate. It's a heart thing. There but for fortune and all that!

Back to Kenny, I learned about the herd instinct from Howard Bloom's "The Global Mind". An amazing book. He was a music maven who quit to study the evolution of memes... and the mind. The thing about the herd instinct is scientifically presented in the book and hard to knock. Maybe I misapplied the concept with the folks in the Metro station, but I bet there's something to it.

More thoughts... but maybe for a rainy day.

richard sales
glassWing farm and studio
vancouver island, b.c.
800.545.6846