1st person 3rd person

  I personally prefer 1st person bios,but I recognize the issue with being
taken seriously. Depends on who youraiming at .The very worthwhile fine
arts
world is different than the straight up music busniess. I sometimes avoid
this conundrum by writing bios for other people,and have had them done for
me. I think it's more important to satsify the reasons the conventions
exist
than it is to follow them to the letter.I like for the aesthetic of the
art
to be reflected in the aesthetic of the promotional material. For example
promoting an african music group I printed everything in brown ink in a
woodcut looking font on unbleached handmade looking ,grainy
paper.Earthiness
,texture, roots. I used very rhytmic traditional graphics that continued
the
theme,and abssolutely no photos of the band standing in front of a wall.
this was expensive ,but very efective. It's true that people will judge
your
professionalism on presentation,but that doesn't mean the presentation has
to be formulaic.  If the bio reads like an application  form,why would I
want to read all the way through ?  If for instance,one's school or
educational background has no obvious relation to the art being promoted
,does it matter? If the facts aren't entertaining or at least
interesting,one can use an Artist Statement instead of a bio,and says
something interesting-briefly.  An Artist statement in addition to a bio
can
be a worthwhile addition.The point either way, is for them to have
something
to say about you in press releases, etc. so providing good copy is more
important than perfect form. Good copy includes  ,catchy phrases,you
know,soundbites,hooks.It's another chance to be creative.
  I would add to Matt's list of bad adjectives Jazzy

Download Messenger. Join the i’m Initiative. Help make a difference today.