RE: Mastering music

Title: RE: Mastering music

dr jekyll: I don't let anyone else do anything to my recordings, by way of "mastering", unless they are a broadcaster & need to adapt the dynamic range of the material to better suit an acoustically hostile listening environment, such as a truck.

mr hyde: I have personally installed & set up several dozens of the orban & tc-electronic broadcast "mastering" devices to make the non-US mtv channels more "competitive" in the context of other similarly treated tv channels, & to even out the differences between various types of programme material (commercials, long-form shows & movies with dialogue, music videos, cartoons) so as to reduce listener fatigue.

I have always hated "overall" comp-limiting, & especially the multi-band variety, but I live in a crowded city & like to stay up late at night....

[sigh]

duncan.