Re: Help: RC-20XL or Digitech Jam-Man? Quantize feature?

I actually owned both the RC20XL and the Digitech jamman each for
about a month, for a while I had them both together to compare (before
I returned them both and upgraded to a more expensive looper). I would
say that if you are absolutely committed to having auto-quantize,
which I'm pretty sure is in fact how you describe it, then you clearly
need the boss. Since I was able to live with and compare both of these
pedals, though, here are some other things I would consider:

overall, I preferred the boss anyway. It just seemed more "friendly."
I actually preferred the sound quality, as the "distortion" that
reviewers describe sounded "musical" as in "good" to me, not distorted
like heavy metal or like a crappy system, and the "clean" sampling
rate of the digitech sounded a little too
clean/dry/crisp/unnatural/cold to me. It's hard to describe why it in
general seemed more "friendly" to me, perhaps the user interface, like
how the pedals worked, etc., had a hand in that. I had no interest in
USB capability, although I didn't think either that I would care much
about storing loops, but that is a nice feature of the digitech that
you realize after you fill up your boss. Also, I'm wary of the
reviewers that had a digitech crap out on them.

That all being stated, I think that with some practice you can get
better with your timing as to when you end a loop (and also as to what
you play within the loop), which makes the auto-quantize and the
metronome less essential. Also, that click track is very annoying to
anyone other than you (and, after a week, to you too), so if you
really are considering playing out I would strongly recommend against
using the click track anyway. That being stated, however, the digitech
has a few options as to what the click sounds like (e.g., bass, bass,
bass, high-hat) whereas the boss just has one that sounds more like a
metronome. All of this of course assumes that you can't follow the LED
of the metronome with the sound muted, which I certainly can't,
although you can mute the click on either one.

Hope those considerations help,
Eben