Re: My piano looping video/ and some thoughts

Quoting Travis Hartnett <travishartnett@gmail.com>:

> the music festival approach...

I have done solo recitals and have played for conventions and festivals,
too.

My ego tends to prefer a solo recital however, as I look back, the
performances I've delivered at festivals and conventions have been
among my best.  I am not sure why this is... perhaps there is a
certain "energy" about festival events.

As far as the 30 minute vs. 45 minute format -- well... IF I had to
haul my entire PA system halfway across the country I could hardly
justify a set under 45 minutes  (though, 45 minutes is, I feel, an
optimal amount of time for the material I play).   If I need only haul
my (minimal) stage equipment, then 30 minutes is OK.  My music tends
to be relatively concise -- my works typically range from five to ten
minutes each.  Thus, a 30-minute set would consist of three or four
works.

> And yeah, if I'm unfamiliar with an musician's work beforehand, my
> attention is really going to start waning around 45 minutes unless
> they're a stone cold genius.

HaHa!  I spose genius (like beauty) is in the eye of the beholder.
Personally, I would rather play a shorter set and hold the listeners'
attention than overstay my musical welcome.

> But for all of you who enjoy it, by all means, carry on.

:)

-- Kevin