From: Tony K [mailto:bigtonyk@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2007 11:01 AM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Slightly OT: Sun Loop Music

"Sun's Atmosphere Sings
By Jeanna Bryner
Staff Writer
posted: 18 April 2007
07:58 pm ET
Astronomers have recorded heavenly music bellowed out by the Sun's atmosphere.

Snagging orchestra seats for this solar symphony would be fruitless, however, as the frequency of the sound waves is below the human hearing threshold. While humans can make out sounds between 20 and 20,000 hertz, the solar sound waves are on the order of milli-hertz-a thousandth of a hertz.

The study, presented this week at the Royal Astronomical Society's National Astronomy Meeting in Lancashire, England, reveals that the looping magnetic fields along the Sun's outer regions, called the corona, carry magnetic sound waves in a similar manner to musical instruments such as guitars or pipe organs. "

 http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/070418_solar_music.html

--
-==-=-=-
Tony