Re: portable hand field recorders

Raul Bonell wrote:
> Which one of these can accept an electret stereo mic?
The M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96 comes with a little stereo electret mic but
you may use aany electret mic that plugs into the 1/8" TRS mic input
jack.  The mic sounds good but is essentially a spaced omni pair that
doesn't provide the stereo separation I enjoy with my SONY ECM-MS957.
It was $300 at most places in 2001 when I bought it to go along with my
MD recorder.  I paid just under $200  for it but that was hard to find.
Apparently, you can find it for under $200 these days more easily.  (See
<http://www.savinglots.com/lotprod.asp?item=ECMMS957> for example.)
> Does anybody has any esperience with the Edirol?
No.  But I met a guy who has one and seemed happy with it.  He made some
stealth recordings at the School of Rock in NYC.  The MicroTrack can't
do that unless you get a mic that will allow you to hide the unit.  The
included mic is so small that you'd have to have the entire hand held
unit in plain sight.

Cheers,

Bill