Re: Loopers-Delight-d Digest V07 #285

Quoting Ariane Cap <arianecap@earthlink.net>:

> I have a very very basic issue with the looping thing ­ the timing of the
> foot hit. I am using quantize , but more often than not things donıt
>line up
> because itıs either an odd phrase (36 beats, so I have to program a 9/4)
>or
> my foot is lagging or what have you.

I have an RC50 and like you, I am still get used to hitting the pedals
at the right time.

What has worked for me is to start on beat one and to press the pedal
on a later beat one.  I have practiced actually playing the beat one
note and hitting the pedal at the same time.

Also, you might want to turn quantize "off" and try it -- after all,
there is nothing to fear!

If you rush when hitting the pedal then you'll "slight" the last beat
of your loop and of course, if you lag then the last beat of the loop
will be too long.  I have been practicing with one-measure (three or
four beat) loops.  With a shorter loop, you get more practice!  You
might want to be sure that you can press the pedal for an easy meter
(say 3/4 or 4/4) and then progress to compound meters.  I think of the
foot pedal press as the start of a phrase rather than the end of a
phrase.

OK, these are my thoughts -- as a "newbie to another newbie".  :)

-- Kevin