Re: guitar floorboard with lots of MIDI control

On 10 jun 2007, at 07.35, sine@zerocrossing.net wrote:

> Guitar Rig 2 is kind of that, in a sense, but something about it
> bothered
> me.

Me as well... There is something crappy with the sound. I spend long
time trying to get a better sound but it seems it suffers from some
"default crappiness" on the sound creating software code level. Ok,
it sound a little better if you run it in "high resolution mode", but
the general "bad taste" to the sound is still there. I was able to
get a much better, IMO, guitar sound from the NI Guitar Combos; great
reverb but not all the rest of the effects that comes with GR. But
frankly, all the built-in effects is also why I did not like GR. I
was able to get better effects, and in some sense even guitar type
distortion, by patching up those typical effect chains with other,
carefully chosen, VST plug-ins in Bidule.

Oh BTW, since you brought up software amp modeling (although Rainer
asked for floor box board tips) I must say that I love the AmpliTube2
Jimi Hendrix. Have had it for some two months now. It's especially
good at typical Hendrix sounds, which is a completely different
universe. It has some analog feel to the sound (I'm comparing it to
physical my Sovtek MIG-60 top cooking both the first stage’s three
12AX7A tubes and the output stage’s two EL-34 tubes driving a
Marshall Lead Series cabinet of one 12” speaker element). Another
good part of the AmpliTube2 JH is the Octavia replication. I do own
the physical stomp box Roger Mayer Octavia and IK Multimedia have
almost succeeded to clone it in digital. Missing the dynamics you get
with the real stomp box when playing low output single coil neck
position mic and working the guitar's volume and tone knobs while
playing, but I guess that's true analog magic that is just impossible
to measure for digital replication ;-)

> I couldn't handle that latency.

I did not find that troublesome at all. To my musical senses it
equals standing three to four meters away from your speaker while
playing. Good enough for guitar, but maybe difficult for vocals or
wind instruments.

I have never gotten into guitar floorboards, although I have done
some magazine tests of units that sounded very good, so I have no
other advice to Rainer than going to a music store and test them out.
By doing that it would take you no more than an afternoon to find the
one that suits your need.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)