Re: MORE LOOPS?

Correct, Rick. Overdubitis (or too many loops) has killed so many good songs and pieces of music. I've done it myself and seen and helped tons of musicians do it in my studio (since 81). Not so anymore! It's so much easier to mix simple, well organized music. When it's arranged and layered right, you don't need all that EQ to make it work. IN the arrangement, the frequencies are spread out so that there's no battle anywhere in the spectrum. So the final piece sounds more natural.

I have two uses now for the looper - one as the 'one man band' deal. My songs are pretty complex - not repeating parts usually and lots of odd measure lengths, so I have to record big chunks and then have areas (usually just one of the loops) where I can just let the looper ramble on until I'm ready to re-enter the structure. Works great. On top of the (three loops of) one guitar part I've laid down I want to add percussion so it can run along with the guitar stuff I do on top. For most of my 'one man band' songs it takes all three of the available loops (RC50) to cover all bases. So my final output would be one base guitar track, one percussion track (most likely djimbe or congas, and the top guitar.

The second use for the looper is to create beds strictly for jamming. These I'm doing live now- both the bed and the top. On some they're very simple - just one loop needed to fly - and I can probably squeeze enough real estate to fit the percussion on top of it.

The beauty of the one man band thing is that it's affordable if you're touring. Affordable is good! It's not as fun as having real players there changing and improvising with the current and it's MUCH harder to get that vibe. But, as you well know, you can get pretty close!

I wrote all this in case you're thinking about my previous email about the RC50 not having enough loops.

ps - I like the idea of hardware loopers because I just don't wanna look at computer screens any more than absolutely I have to. Someday I'd like to have a Kid Beyond kind of setup (is that his name?) where Ableton is controlled by a foot controller.

Next life maybe

richard sales
glassWing farm and studio
vancouver island, b.c.