RE: [OT] mic recommendations

  Both Mic's you mentioned are excellent choices, the Rode being perhaps
the
warmer more forgiving  sounding of the two and the Audio technical being
the
more precise, with less coloration. I own a 4050 which has two capsules and
thus a bit more versatility than the 4040. But unless you are going to use
figure 8 pattern, which I have all of twice, you probably don't need to
spend the extra cash. I think AT make great mikes, I also have a hand held
condenser they no longer make called a 4055. Mine was actually used at the
42 grammy awards, which means there is a good possibility that either
Michael Bolton or Celine Dion's spit and DNA are all over this
puppy...sweet.... I have found the 4055 an excellent mike for guitar amps
as
is the 4050. The 4050 sounds fantastic on acoustic guitars. I'll use it
with
a small condenser instead of the more typical two small condenser array.
The
4050 really makes small body guitars sound huge.
Good Luck
Bill
.