Re: Case against laptops

On 22 jun 2007, at 19.22, Travis Hartnett wrote:

> I think there's been some thread creep here.  There are people who use
> the laptop as their sound generator onstage, without plugging in a
> guitar, keyboard or what have you.  These are the boring performances
> I was referring to in my posts.
>
> Although, I do wince when I see someone with a traditional instrument
> and a laptop onstage, just because (in my experience as an audience
> member) it more often then not acts as an attention magnet for the
> musician in question.

If the music rocks I don't mind if the performance is boring.
Sometimes I listen with eyes closed anyway. People are different, as
are musicians too, and some simply are boring - in a charismatic
sense. Nothing wrong with that though. On the other hand, if someone
on stage pretends something else than he or she does actually
implement in praxes - oh man, I'll be far away in seconds ;-)  But
please don't get me wrong, I do love a brilliant entertainer!

 From performing in public one learns what does communicate well and
what gestures one have better staying away from. The point is that
for most of us there is a discrepancy between what we think we
communicate and what others really see us doing. Minimizing that
discrepancy is the trick in all performance arts and this can not be
done alone, one needs a teacher.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)