Re: LOVING NON NATIVE (T) THE USA AT LEAST) MUSICAL TRADITIONS

After a bland childhood in suburban California I had the good fortune
to live in Mexico City for a while in the early '70s. I also got out to
the
countryside quite a bit and experienced and came to really appreciate
the regional Mexican folk music I heard.

I came back to the USA and it was as though the pop music scene had
left me behind or something. It didn't hold as much interest for me any
more. I then went to college and saw lots of foreign films in the couple
of film studies classes I took at UC.

Through film I was exposed to lots of weird European, African and Asian
music that I'd never heard of before. My ears were opened and exposed to
everything from Pygmy music to the Viennese tone-row serialists.

Couple that with a love for early sci-fi music, and bizarre personal
guitar
habbits a you have the makings of a real musical mess. I've not been
"normal" ever since. In fact I don't even know where "normal" is anymore
. . . but it's been fun.

Cheers,

Ted