Re: choosing the right laptop for live looping , real time DSP processing and running Video

On Jul 27, 2007, at 8:29 AM, Goddard, Duncan wrote:

> if you get a macbook-pro, get some speck polycarbonate shells for
> it, or
> the outside will start to look tatty really quick.

Don't you mean Macbook?  My old company had the aluminum macs and
they seemed to hold up fine.  I imagine the plastic shelled units get
crappy pretty quick though.

> if looks aren't important & you'd rather run windows apps, get a
> high-end PC laptop, with a decent warranty on the hardware. once
> you've
> got a stable build on there, ghost the thing onto a replacement drive.
> if a PC of any sort is allowed on a public network, it will catch all
> sorts of diseases. macs tend to be a bit safer when it comes to this
> sort of thing.

Good advise.  My Toshiba's been running perfectly but I've removed
any software that would allow it to connect to the web or network in
any way.