Re: general question about equipment

In a message dated 8/1/2007 9:53:59 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, matthjohnson@gmail.com writes:
I am looking for another loop/sampler unit that will allow me to create more precise loops, be able to isolate sounds within the loops and create beats/drum tracks with. Any suggestion will help? Im new to this and looking for a place to start with a good peice of equipment I could learn with? I guess it would have to be a hand operated unit.

3. Im not opposed to going in the laptop direction. I use cubase to record, but this is where my knowledge of computer music creation software begins and ends. Ive seen some bands using laptops along with keys, samplers, etc. What are the laptops being used for live? It seems to me all you would need is a sampler and looper live.
Matt
I know exactly where you are coming from. In the last year or so I have greatly expanded my directional capability as a musician/writer. My technical understanding, although at best in it's infancy, has grown immensely due to this quantum shift.
  I honestly believe that everything you are looking to do will be found within the realm of software aided musical design and construction. However, your generalized questions in this post cover so much ground that there is simply no way without you being much more specific for me to respond more specifically to your needs.

Please answer the following questions briefly.

1) What is the exact nature of the music you are playing? Is it your desire to continue playing with the same musicians or are you hoping to become more self reliant? This question is incredibly important with respect to your approach to live performance. In other words are you looking to be more instrumentally than a guitar player in live situations or will your live discipline include just being a guitarist.

2) Are you primarily using Cubase to record you individually for the purpose of exploratory composition, or are you recording more from a room group simultaneous multi tracked perspective?

3) From a live performance perspective as well as recorded studio material, would you sum up what you are hoping to do as being more improvisational or more so compositionally repeatable?

4) Lastly, and DO NOT answer with a question as to which is best (PLEASE!) will you be using a Mac or a PC laptop if you purchase one for live performance purposes?