Re: general question about equipment

Sent: Friday, August 03, 2007 9:42 AM
Subject: Re: general question about equipment

> That's exactly what Motorola/IBM did with the Altivec unit on the 'G4'
> PowerPC processor - a major hardware feature that was no use unless
> you programmed specifically for it.
>
> Same true of SSE on Intel chips I guess.
>
> os.

Except that it' not as huge downfall...afterall, these processors are
being
put into
millions of consumer PCs. Let the corporate IT geeks and enginners worry
about
re-writing their apps for multi-threading to satisify a small slice of the
target
market. Bottom line is that we have a faster pc and the ability to
multi-task
more efficiently. That's all I care about.

Don't forget that one of the main benefits that Intel marketed with the
duo
core
is that you can run more than one app (apps that aren't written to take
advantage
of the duo core system), and your system will run them more efficiently.
For
example,
running your music software and burning a CD at the same time; watching a
DVD and
running your anti-virus software at the same time, etc, etc. They did
tests that demonstrated the efficiencies with these use cases. No custom
software
required...the system makes the decisions for you.  For fortune 500
companies, this
is a BIG deal. You can probably imagine how annoying it is and how much
people
time/$$ it costs a company when they implement synchronized the execution
of
their anti-virus programs on mutiple user PC, and it cripples their
systems
such that
they can't work on anything else. The duo core system addresses
that...MAJOR
ROI...big bucks saved in people productivity time.

Kris