Re: general question about equipment

In a message dated 8/3/2007 10:51:35 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, perboysen@gmail.com writes:
Just a short comment:
If the intention is to run Ableton Live a dual core machine will give
you almost the double processing power. That is if using Live in
version 6.0 or higher, because this is where the code was optimized
for double processor or dual core processor machines. I know this
because I have many different  computers here and have also done
comparing tests in contact with other Ableton users.

Myself I'm a heavy user of Mobius VST looper with lots of other VST
effect plug-ins hosted by Bidule, and I doubt a dual core machine
would give me much more performance use than the 2 GHz Centrino I
have been running for a couple of years, simply because these
combination of software is not optimized for dual CPU or dual core
technology (but as said, with Logic or Live the difference is huge).

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen

I agree with you 100% Per. I ran Live 5.0 on a desktop with a 2.0 single core with 2.5 gig of RAM. When I purchased the Music XPC M4x (2.0 Core 2 Duo/2 Gig RAM) I soon switched to Live 6.0. It's true that when you disable or enable the dual core you can see the CPU meter either in Window's task manager or Live's meter increase or decrease by 50%. The thing is...processor capability does not seem to be too much an issue with Live 6.0 or 5.0. It's the friggen' RAM that the exterior plug in's pull down that is the problem. I have never really noticed a true deficiency based on the processor itself with respect to anything. I would LOVE to actually test Stylus, Reaktor or Sample Tank with 4 Gig of RAM.  Problem is the XPC tops out at 2 Gig RAM so I am leaning toward a new machine in another year or so.

Does anyone here use Stylus that knows/understands RAM? I certainly use Stylus but don't know squat about RAM. My question is: When you are flipping between tracks in LIVE and you come back to Stylus after tweaking whatever in a different track, is it a RAM deficiency that causes the plug in not to fully be visible or adjustable? When this happens I just delete the application and reload it into the same track, but it's the only way to recover it functionally without just saving the set and reopening it..