Re: Practicing Looping in the Dark

On 7 aug 2007, at 12.07, Buzap Buzap wrote:

> I'm glad I threw in the idea... :-)
> I guess it's very similar to practicing any other instrument
> without (much) looking. Then again, I wonder how many people
> practice looping like any other instrument...

My guess is that there's a difference in that when you practice any
other instrument you can practice according to two very different
contexts. One is to only practice the technical and physical skills
needed to create a good tone, notes and scales with the instrument;
strengthening muscles, increasing nerve's capabilities etc. The other
way of practicing is to set the one and only goal as "making the most
interesting music right now" and does merely develop your mental
capabilities, as in making you more creative with the instrument.

Ok, back on topic: When practicing looping you really need to do it
according to the latter context, since the actual music created would
sound pretty lame if you would only practice the "tap dancing" side
of looping ;-)

So, for a beginner that mostly practices the technical aspects of
instrument playing it would be true to say that he/she is not
practicing looping "like any other instrument". In this case
practicing looping may help the student to break into the second
context of practicing - where the music starts happening.

For more experienced musicians, I would say that they practice
looping just "like any other instrument".

> Another approach is of course thinking through "looping stages" how
> you would like to develop your loop. ITo me that process feels very
> similar to anticipating or preparing a solo you'd like to play.

I agree! Both your examples are in essence "instant composition" and
as such the performer need to start out with a certain pace,
direction and attitude, before even making the first sound.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)