Re: New "Virtual Repeater" Software Announced...

Per,

It looks like it may also operate as a VST.  In the "Features" list, there are two lines:

That second line gives me hope that it might run as a VST. (fingers crossed!)

Definitely nothing about AU though.

Doug

On 8/15/07, Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com> wrote:
On 15 aug 2007, at 14.39, Mech wrote:

> This has been up on the Electrix website for a couple of days.
> Surprised nobody else has brought it up yet...
> http://www.electrixpro.com/products/vrpro.html

Wow! I heard some whispering about this but I did not know it was
already public. But it seems there is no way yet to buy this product?
When you click "Purchase" you get

>> Electrix is currently seeking new dealers and international
>> distributors.

I had hoped the Virtual Repeater should have been made available as
an AU or VST plug-in but now I see that it is actually a standalone
host application. That makes it difficult to use it in a looping
system spliced together with Max or Bidule. But on the other hand the
VR can host VST plug-ins, so there's at least a bit of headroom
there. It may even be funny and open new windows to loop with such
restrictions.

I think it's a bit of a bummer though that Virtual Repeater doesn't
support AU plug-ins. Since the VST format has not been "looked after"
particularly well by its original inventor Steinberg, there are so
many bad VST plug-ins in circulation today. That's one reason why I
like to work in OS X these days; with only documented well
functioning AU plug-ins you get much more time left over for making
music, as compared to working under Windows with (eventually
malfunctioning) VST based plug-ins.

Good to see even the Virtual Repeater does time-stretching down to 1
BPM. My hardware Repeater sounded so inspiring doing that. I know, at
least on Mac (by experiencing the AU Looper), that those cool slowed
down sounds are possible in software.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)