Re: New "Virtual Repeater" Software Announced...

On 15 aug 2007, at 16.59, midifriedchicken@comcast.net wrote:

> Per,
> I see you use Bidule. Can you describe how you use it a little? How
> would it compare to Live 6? Is it completely different? I was
> looking at and trying to figure how its used.
> Thanks
> MFC

I use Bidule as a VST2.0 host and a mixer/patchbay for (1) audio
streams, (2) MIDI streams and (3) Bidule exclusive controller data
streams. Something I like with Bidule is that it is totally
compatible with both Windows XP and Mac OS X. So the setups I'm
making on the Mac for Augustus Loop does also work if loaded into
Windows on my PC, I just have to replace Ausustus Loop AU with Mobius
VST. This looks all future proof to me now when the VRP is knocking
on the door (I will run the Virutal Repeater on Mac because I'm such
a big fan of  Michael Norris granular AU plug-ins http://
www.michaelnorris.info/soundmagicspectral/.

Live 6? I think they are so different that I don't want to try making
a comparison. Only one point: I want to set the tempo from my playing
by the first loop recorded. This doesn't work well in Live, so my
looping in Live ends right there. But I use live for other tasks
though, just not live-looping. Bidule, on the other hand, does well
support Mobius sent out VST2.0 sync and tempo so any tempo relating
VST plug-in can be set to follow that temp with just one mouse-click.

Hmm.... one other thing that is better in Live is the MIDI sequencing
capabilities. But maybe that's not interesting for so many people. I
at least, like very much to put some looper commands into MIDI
sequencing, even looping sequences, instead of tap dancing them on my
floor board. In Live you simply create a MIDI clip and route its
output into the looper plug-in and the sent out MIDI events can be
globally controlled by a continuous Groove Template parameter. This
is not directly available in Bidule, although I succeeded pretty fast
to use Bidule's MIDI Step Sequencer module to play havoc with pitch
in the looper. Bidule doesn't have a built-in way of dealing with
groove quantizing. On the other hand, compared to Numerology, Live is
rudimentary in this department.

Oh... I just remembered a second important factor that makes me want
to loop with Bidule as host instead of Live and that is saving CPU
power when using many alternative effect chain patches. I like to put
effects before the looper and record the treated sound into my loops
and for this I find Bidule perfect. It has a module called Audio
Switcher that got expanded up to the maximum of 128 alternative
effect chains with the latest Bidule update last week. I have been
using 16 effect chains with Mobius and found that I can easily relate
to all of them and even wish for the option to have more. So now I'm
rebuilding my setup around the 128 tag Audio Switcher. This is funny,
because as a guitar player in the past I have always wanted to plug
directly into a tube amp and not use many effects at all. But it's
different when you are looping; the looper becomes your canvas and
you just can't have too many colors on your palette. The point here
is that in Bidule all those 127 muted effect chains doesn't cost you
any CPU at all. Only the active chain is taxing the CPU. If you
switch patch, however, before a delay- or reverb tail has faded out
this plug-in audio buffer will be kept in RAM until you un-mute that
effect chain again and this buffer will be the first audio to be
heard. Maybe not fun if you are now in a different key ;-))  But good
thing is there are so many kind people at the Bidule forum and I was
given a Bidule Group especially created to keep the old signal chain
open until the audi tail has faded when you change for another patch
chain. I tride to us Live 6 "Racks" to save CPU but found it
impossible to just disconnect plug-ins when not in use, so Bidule
wins this round big. ' Hope this was to any help.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)