Re: stretching words

>>> I've never heard Max Headroom but an educated guess gives that
>>> the voice may have been created with this classic technique:
>>>
>>> 1. Keep the audio to be "stretched" as an audio file.
>>> 2. In some music software, make a playback loop of the file.

On 21 aug 2007, at 19.38, Daryl Shawn wrote:
> Per, thanks for this info. I had actually wrote, then scrapped, an
> email to LD a few months ago asking whether this technique was
> possible using any kind of current technology. I thought it was
> some brilliant idea I had come up with!...now I see it's been
> around forever (in computer years)! I just love the idea of making
> the dimension of time absolutely plastic, or even static, with
> regards to playback. Do you know of any audio examples where I
> might hear this?

No. But you can try it out for yourself with any software that will
let you perform all four steps. Ableton Live, i guess, or maybe it is
their sampler Sampler that can do this, I don't remember.  But I'm
pretty sure you can quickly set it up in Bidule or Max/msp.
Eventually Kontakt 2 can do it as well, maybe if hosted in Bidule
which will expose all parameters and let you assign the same
controller to "increase/decrease value for start point" and "increase/
decrease value for loop point". Note that this is an advice for a
technique and not an advice for a plug-in. No plug-in can make
anything sound the same as a human "playing" a knob assigned to sweep
the looping window through a sample.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)