RE: RC-2 : First impressions / comparison RC-50

> Obviously, it would have USB to tweak parameters and map them to the
> handy onboard controllers and footswitches for performance, which it
> would store in flash. Or presets.

This is not so much a technical problem as a practical one, getting
enough developers interested in making VSTs for such a device to
justify the cost of building one.

Travis is quite right about the UI problems.  Many VSTs would need
modification or a redesign of their control scheme to accommodate a
simpler UI with a small screen and soft knobs.  This takes extra work
that has to be justified by increased sales, fame, personal favors, or
something.  But initially not many people are going to own this device
because there is no software for it, so developers won't be very
interested in writing software for it, so no one will buy it...

The only way this can work is if the company building the hardware
also develops or funds the development of a reasonably interesting
suite of plugins so that the thing at least does something out of the
box that people will buy.  Then after a few years when thousands of
people own one, other plugin developers will take an interest.

This is more or less the story with the Muse Receptor which contrary
to their marketing hype doesn't "just run" all VST plugins, most of
the good ones are ports specifically for the Receptor.  The Receptor
also has similar issues with the control UI.  Simple plugins can be
controlled using soft knobs and the little LCD display, but I would
imagine most people that own one of these hook up an LCD monitor and
keyboard to it.  At that point you basically just have an expensive
rack mount PC, though it doesn't run Windows so there are a few
advantages.

Jeff