Re: comparison Fireface400 vs. Fireface800

Hi Rainer,
yes, I decided to go with the Rme solution for my playing rig ( FF400)
while I am using the FF800 for the recording studio.

Everything in your summary seems perfect.
I have been one of those who have been pushing Rme to develop the
standalone thing.
Once they did it I have been insisting in favour of a usable Midi
control of Totalmix, in fact at the beginning they came out with a very
un-usable midi mixer because it was using the mapping of the Mackie Hui
so that it was impossible to think to use it live for the lack of direct
controls: Mackie Hui protocol was requiring to scroll through many
"pages" to have all the controls at hand, it was not possible to
"assign" the parameters you were needing to the physical controller you
wanted.
I remember Matthias Carsten saying that this would have been a thing
that just a few users had enjoyed... I told them that if they developed
it in the right way they could see in the Fireface another use: first
rackmountable mixer/splitter/router with both analog and digital
capabilities.

Rme are not cheap but I think that if you have to play live in serious
situations you have to reduce sw problems at the minimum level ( and you
know that this minimum level is still potentially risky).

I think that choosing which one of the two is a matter of making a clear
draw about how many ins/outs you need.
Both the Firefaces use the same driver and these are updated quite
frequently.
Latest drivers are not released to fix problems ( because there are not
since a few releases), they just add new possibilities.

If I had the room I would probably go for a FF800 in my playing rig, the
ins/outs are slightly more and are more accessible ( in the FF400 the
input 1 and 2 are just on the front as well as outputs 7/8 ( on
minijack) and I find it inconvienent.
FF800 has 8 ins and outs in the back panel, inputs 1,7 and 8 are
replicated on the front panel with preamps and ins/outs 9 and 10 are
just on the fron panel.
Plus the FF800 has two couples of adat ins/outs and these are useful as
I am trying to keep all I can in digital domain.
Plus, it would be nice to go 5.1 or at least quad when possible...

my best,
luca
www.unguitar.com