Re: im about to start a war

On 29 aug 2007, at 16.45, Matthew Johnson wrote:

> 90% of the shows I go to, its a MAC on stage. Is this is the work
> of lemmings, hipsters and marketers, or is it really worth it?
> --
> Matt H. Johnson

Hi Matt,

I guess there are four main reasons Macs are over represented among
musicians:

1) Historically, Mac was the first OS to support hard disc recording.
Back in the days there wasn't a choice, you had to get a Mac and
Digidesign hardware. The only alternative was to buy a multi track
tape recorder and loads of outboard processing gear to an almost
astronomical cost. Although music software for Windows has popped up
during the years, many musicians rather prefer to stay with what they
have come to know "as stable and well functioning" instead of
learning a new system or change their software.

2) Apple is the pc manufacturer that has the strongest reputation of
caring for both the hardware and the software "in-house", thus
launching products that are less prone to fail - something that is no
hit on stage.

3) Mac's has a reputation of being more stable (as an effect of #2
above), easier to learn, use and maintain. For a computer savvy
musicians that might not be an issue, but many musicians prefer being
"music savvy" rather than "computer savvy".

4) Better firewire support. Only with an Apple box you can get
firewire 800 ports and practically all Mac's can power an audio
interface directly through the firewire cable. With any other, non
Mac, pc you would have to bring an extra power supply for your
firewire interface.

I myself use both pc's built by Apple and by others as Zepto, IBM etc.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)