Re: im about to start a Per (and other sages) Question

I think we'll hear a definitive YES to that.  We've heard it plenty of times before, and I don't dispute it at all.

But as a "for instance" - a Macbook Pro (Intel CPU) that tries to use 4MB of RAM will also face the config problem I mentioned before.  You'd have to know how to configure it to use the full 4GB - Apple doesn't do that for you.

All of these examples point to the fact that you can't reasonably expect to buy a computer and use it for heavy audio work without also expecting to learn a good bit about the dials and knobs - at least, if you want to succeed.  Or if your pockets are lined with gold, and you want someone else to handle it for you - which will cost you plenty of your gold.

I know a good bit about computers, but I'd die a quick and miserable death if I tried to be a computer tech.  Yet, I was able to make it work with a retail computer.  My stance is still this:  you don't HAVE to pay someone to optimize your computer for audio.  Buy retail with the appropriate features, and you can do it yourself with only a little effort.  Paying someone (a whole lot) extra also does not assure you of being able to manage your computer through future changes.  It's a bit of a racket.