Re: circus animals? (Re: WAS: Who uses looping in their promo material? NOW:Prerecordedmaterial)

On 13 sep 2007, at 19.54, kkissinger@kevinkissinger.com wrote:

> My favorite line: "Your music sounded great to me, although I don't
> know anything about music."

LOL!  Actually that's quite a complement.

Last year I was invited, as "something different", to play sax
looping improvisations at a "Singer Song-writers Evening" at a local
beer pub. All the regular acts did bad imitations of Dylan, The BAnd,
etc, etc. I really felt like everybody hated me when I entered the
stage and started building a rhythm by beating the sax without
blowing into it. People just stared. "Seconds before the zombie
attack"... kind of. One particularly huge guy right before the stage
were staring more than anyone. He never moved, only to finish beer
after beer after beer. When I was finished he waved me over. I sat
down at his table. He stared. Silence. Then he said "I did NOT like
what you were doing. But it was the fucking craziest thing I've ever
witnessed. Thank you!" Then it turned out that he was a contra bass
clarinet player with the symphony and used to have compositions
written particularly for him. Wow, that was weird. I'm glad I had
been challenging his beer-staring by playing even noisier during my
set (as opposed trying to figure out what people expected to hear me
doing. The truth was that I thought everything was already lost and I
had no way to win them over again. But I was wrong. They just didn't
know how to react to my music because it was out-of-context at that
event)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)