Literature - articles - movies - comments and regarding Live looping

Hi !

I want to learn more about looping and live-electronic
- both the history and the technology.

Where is the music and its technology is heading?

Is there a musical genre (live looping)?

Is it linked to Debussy? or Ambient music?

What are the musicians missing in the technology of
today?

Why aren`t more attention paid to live looping - by
musicians - comsumer`s and manufactures?

Is looping an instrument?

Is my guitar a part of the electronics?

Where does the instrument starts and the
player/musician stop?

Is the tune/composition a part of the instrument or
the electronics?

Does the electronics change the performance?

Are there different main-technics in live looping?
And how does this sound and work?

What are the technics that works best? Are there any?
Are there some for making themes and some for making
layers? And how to make the tune move head?

What sets live sampling apart for other genre?

The leading music academy of music in Norway teaches
in live electronics? Does this mean it has become
mainstream? What is there to learn?

Sound - analog v.s digital signal path and the use of
both - like Aarset. What`s to gain? What does looper´s
use?

David Torn uses three looping devices? How and why?

Where does the man end and the machine starts
-regarding use of live electronics?

Is there a common way looper`s work?

Regarding performance by looper`s - are there new
interfaces to be made the will make audiences see what
"happening is happening because of the performer"?

How does a concert with a musician with
live-electronic look from the audience view?

What are live looper`s actually doing on stage -
regarding what the audience can see?

Are there more or less typically sounds used in this
genre of music?

What can be said about the interaction between man and
machine - when the player must turn/move around for
pushing buttons for making music?

What`s the typical effects used? and how?

Does looper know how they work - or has it become
intuitive? And is this form of working the optimal?
How does we know how we work - if its become
intuitive?
Where does the electronics start and the man stops
when its become intuitive?

How does looper`s think (cognitive style) when
looping?

Maybe we all could just play our instruments - and let
someone else sample our playing? Ii stead of running
around on stage pushing buttons?

Are there new software - that will make looper get
more involved in computers?

Is there - in looping - a fine line between repetition
and boredom?
How does good looper - artists and composer deal with
this technically and in building a composition?

Is there a interaction between man and machine when
looping?

Are there ways (technics) of making loops and samples
less boring or more inspiring? Significant phrase
combined with less significant phrases? A hard sound
combined with a soft?

Are there a link from looper delight to - lets say
musique concrete?

Repetition by itself is a cheap trick. It doseen`t
mean anything. But its a gold mine if applied with
some intelligence (Steve Reich). How and technics?
Phasing rhythm?

Is there available literature on this?

Any movies on looping - live electronics or history of
electronic music?

Is the computers another instrument? Todays acoustic
guitar? The mac with ableton - its a performing
instrument. Is Robert Henke a musician?

Midi and time-keeping. The band receives midi and
everybody can look on the delay lines or triggers
(Mark Isham).

How does artists like David Torn manipulate the loops
he makes?

The repeater - who and for what purpose was it made?
Studio - live looper`s - hip hop artists? What was the
idea?

Are the looping devices good to work with - are they
intuitive to work with for what loopers`s do?

The Norwegian loopers/musicians like Bugge - Henriksen
and Aarset - were do they got this use of looping and
use of Repeaters from? The whole clubbjazz scene in
Norway is looping in some kind of way? What are their
roots?

Repetition is beautiful not boring - (David Torn) Each
loop is a performance and not static.

Looping to me - its such a special feeling - its like
diving into the music - my music - at the level I
might be - regarding music. Its less about technics
and more about make music - regardless the use of
technical devices ! RF

The tape looping in 60`s what impact had it on the
sampling and DJ culture?

Hardware v.s software. What`s the differences and
what´s  more or less alike when working with this
gear? Combinations? What`s for the future?

Are there any books/movies7articles thats deals with
this questions?

Per Boysen - maybe your schema could be worked on -
regarding who uses what device - and for what ? Or
just use our litttle time to make some more music and
looping :)

best regards Rune Fagereng

Alt i én. Få Yahoo! Mail med adressekartotek, kalender og
notisblokk. http://no.mail.yahoo.com