RE: realtime stereo to surround

I have a RME FF800 that has 8outputs.  I have 5 identical cabinets plus a
sub. I use 5 outs to go to FrontL, FrontR, C, RearL, RearR.  My Front L&R
have a special crossover for the sub, so they get full range, and the
crossover takes care of the split.

I was able to get a DVD to play  through the RME.  After some trial and
error, I was able to get it to play through the correct speakers. Home and
computer surround processors use a special processor for splitting into 5.1
, but I'm not using that.

So now, I am very interested in experimenting with "normal" and "abnormal"
surround and spatial effects.  I look forward to trying some of Per's and
Stephen's suggestions.   But it will have to wait for awhile since my gear
is packed away due to remodeling.   But I'm looking forward to some fun :-)

-Qua