Re: Drum MACHINES

On 25 sep 2007, at 18.27, Dave Trenkel wrote:

> I read an interview with Stan Ridgeway of Wall of Voodoo (remember
> them? Great, great band of the '80's)

Sure! "I don't know how to live... but I sure know how to die". I
wanted to like them in the 80's put choruses like the quoted just
kept me at a distance ;-))

> where he commented that "drum machines should sound like
> appliances, not drums." I like that idea.

Yes. I think it was from magazine interviews etc that I wanted to
like Wall of Voodoo back then. Their musical philosophy attracted my
curiosity.

He, he... I remember the first drum machines. When I read about drum
machines being manufactured I just couldn't wait until they would
appear in the stores. And when I finally got around to check out a
drum machine I was really put off because it "sounded just like
drums". I had never imagined there were people around that wanted a
machine to sound like a guy bashing drums. Little did I know.... ;-)
I had envisioned drum machines to sound more like banging metal
containers or pneumatic industrial processing etc.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)