Re: looper in Logic (Re: Logic studio new version)

On 1 okt 2007, at 14.08, Paul Mimlitsch wrote:

> Per;
> What are you thoughts on using the delay (either software "pedal
> board" or "rack mount" versions) in Logic as a simple "looper" -
> ie: length of delay, feedback control etc.?

Since you have Logic 8 you also have the Delay Designer, that offers
quite long delay times. I think it's quite fun to loop with, if
looping "delay style". Assign a MIDI expression pedal to feedback.
Funny things happen you change the delay length with audio in the
loop. I have not had enough time yet to have an opinion of using the
pitch change within the Delay Designer plug-in, but have it on my
list for "cool stuff to check out on a rainy day when no particular
deadline is approaching".

Something that I have done a lot though, is to loop with the Tape
Delay plug-in. This one has a Freeze Loop button that you can assign
to a MIDI pedal. The maximum loop length is rather short, I think one
or two bars, but there's a nice tape style audio degradation
parameter. You can also do a sort of "cutting in a short audio slice"
into the loop by unfreezing the loop for a very short time. You can
create some wild stuff by working two Tape Delay plug-ins set to
different loop lengths.

Other plug-ins of Logics that I think add quality to a live setup are
the Autofilter, Compressor, Fuzz-Wha and the Ringshifter (ring
modulator).

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)