Re: little boxes (was survey)

On 3 okt 2007, at 01.36, info at zoekeating wrote:

> - using a software looper to control a hardware looper. the audio
> is recorded onto a hardware-looping device but all the controls are
> sent from the software looper.
>
> is that a hardware or software preference?
>
> i'd love to know if anyone else does this. both electrix and bill
> walker have told me i might be the only one but i don't believe
> that at all.

I did that in 2003-2004. It was David Torn who in an e-mail
conversation hinted me to run a midi sequencer into the Repeater's
midi input and as soon as I checked it out I was bitten by the bug. I
was first using an Alesis MMT-8 hardware sequencer, then a synced
laptop with Logic, then Ableton Live.

When I sold the Repeater I used Ableton Live to send midi commands
into the EDP plus Agustuus Loop plug-in inside Live.

In late 2004 I assembled enough money to get also a Windows laptop
and I started using Mobius. With Mobius I duplicated my MIDI
sequences - from controlling the EDP or Augustus - as scripts in Mobius.

I'm finding my old two step method (midi sequencer into looper) more
powerful, flexible and easier to use compared to writing scripts. The
reason is that you can modify the controlling MIDI sequences while
they're running. In Live I liked to apply different swing factors to
the MIDI parts, for example. If the MIDI was used for unquantized
SUSSUbstitute etc it resulted in funny loops with a certain groove to
the overdubbed slices of audio.

I'm hoping for the future that I may find to use the same mac laptop
to run both the Virtual Repeater Pro and the modular MIDI sequencer
Numerology. Syncing Numerology after VRP and sending Num's midi
sequences into the VRP. Numerology is sooo fun!

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)