Akai Headrush problems

Has anyone ever had any problems with the "stomp" buttons on the Akai E2
Headrush looper/delay pedal? as in they don't work properly? Mine was fine
until a few weeks ago when the buttons you need to step on to
start/record/stop a loop started to not respond so well. What a lameass
design-- I hate pedals with this design anyway-- it's not a "pedal" per
say (like the BOSS loop models have), they just give you 2 small silver
buttons to stomp on. I tried tightening them, but no difference. I haven't
abused this unit at all, either. I guess this thing just isn't made very
durable. Probably going to have to return it, just wondering if anyone
else has used this product & had similar problems. I've tried to contact
Akai & I haven't got an answer yet.

Thanks,

Chris D.