quest for (XP) VST to bring RMS to a target level

> > I'm looking for a (Windows) VST (DirectX would also be
> cool) to bring
> > the audio to a predefined RMS or other "loudness" value by either
> > reducing level or applying compression.
>
> Wouldn't this have the same general effect as Normalizing?

Normalizing is an offline process where you first analyze your entire data
set and then compute a scaling factor for the data points based on some
metric. I want something which works in realtime.

What I'm looking for is more like a compressor/limiter combo, but with its
main parameter being the RMS level on the output.

        Rainer