Re: OT: soundproofing my Mac?

Tom Ritchford wrote:
> My Mac Quad G5 would have been the greatest machine ever except it's
> completely loud -- the fan goes on no matter what and trying
> everything online was hopeless.  I've tried for a year to fix it and
> nothing working.
>
> I've been looking to find a case to put it in that will suppress the
> sound but everything I search for, I find PC-style cases that you
> build a computer in, not a larger case that I can put the machine in.
>
> Any ideas as to where to find such a thing?

Sound-proofing boxes does exist; be creative with your Google searches..

You may be able to silence your G5.
It has lotsa slots on it's sides, letting noise out. In car accessery
stores you can buy self-adhesive foam pads which does a great job
sucking fan and harddrive noises. Here in DK two versions are available.
One is made of a somewhat dense multicolored material, which is good
against rumble noises, and a softer gray pad which is good at sucking
fan hiss and drive whining. the latter works better for computers.
Simply cut it to size for i.e. the sides, buttom and top of the box, rip
off the protective plactic foam and stick it to the surface.

However, do ensure good airflow through the box.
I don't remember how the front and rear of the G5 is layed out. IMO, a
good box should have 120mm fans both front and rear. While I'm sure the
G5 doesn't have this, hopefully it has decent venting holes/grill on the
front and suitable fans on the rear. If not, you may have a problem when
you cover the venting at the sides of the box with the foam stuff.

Noisy harddrives (if they are so..) can be replaced.
Fans can be replaced. When shopping look for the CFM/dBa params.

The real problem is small (50/60/80mm) diameter PSU/CPU/box fans et al..
Pabst makes some of the best 9/12dBa 80mm fans, but they still have ball
bearing noises. Mounted on rubber, they work fine. I simply glue them on
using a thick layer of glue for diving wetsuits. Can be ripped-off
again, so no problem..

Because the G4/5 series use PowerPC CPU's, the usual PC world heatsink
replacement parts doesn't apply; here creativity is a must ;)
I can solve most drive and fan issues in my G4 dual 800, but have to
build some duct over the CPU module heatsink to fix the 50mm fan noise.

A few examples of lownoise 120mm fans:

http://studiedata.dk/shop/noctua-nf-s12-800-blaeser-6024p.html
http://studiedata.dk/shop/noctua-nf-s12-1200-blaeser-5993p.html

Yup, danish, so a  few explanations; CFM/dBa.. should be understandable.
They feature SSO-bearings (Self Stabilizing Oil pressure bearings).
The dBa ratings are with/without the noise adaptor thingy.

--
rgds,
van Sinn