Re: y2k7 mp3s

> This leads me to ask:
>
> 1. I understand that this year (compared to the years before), you
> implemented a few changes to reduce workload for you. Was changing from
> FOH
> to microphone recording one of those (and if so, how did this work out),
> or
> what were the reasons for this step (e.g. wanting to experiment with the
> microphones, wishes from artists,...) ?

Yes, it was a lot easier to record live with two microphones in the back
of
the room,
rather than running two very long stereo cables from each stage board, into
an smaller board, and then sub-mixing each one, and with each performance.
With the mic setup, I was able to use a more consistent level for all the
performances,
and walk away from the recorder for long period of time. I couldn't do
this
with
the direct recording system. Levels were too erratic. I did this purely so
that I could
get away from the recorder and socialize once in a while...which I did,
and
it was
great!  :)  I guess with the live mics in the back of the room, the air
serves as sort
of a natural compressor.

> 2. The way you describe it, there seems to be a clear view that a FOH
> board
> recording is by all means superior to a recoring using a stereo mic
>setup.
> Did you base that view on your own experience, eperience of other
>artists
> or
> recording engineers or just on concentrated thinking?

Based on my own experience, and especially for this type of music where
there
a lot of folks doing some intricate stereo imaging. The stereo mics just
don't
capture that well.  I just like the sound of the soundboard recordings
better,
though I admit they don't sound live. Compare all the other recording on
the
page
with my own recording. My recording was direct from max/msp to my hardrive.
The dynamic range of the soundboard recordings is much better too. I can
hear
freqencies on direct recordings that just don't come across clear in live
mic
recording....despite the fact that the mics claim an appopriate frequency
response.
The whole proximity effects with mics, just as air acting as a natural
compressor,
also reduces frequency response.

> The reason I ask: While I wholeheartedly agree that for a setup like
>mine
> of
> last year or yours (for yours even more than for mine), a board recording
> (or even a recording inside of the laptop) is by far superior to a
> recording
> done with microphones in the venue, unless documenting audience
> interaction
> is by far more important to you than fidelity, this may be totally
> different
> for other artists. E.g. for an artist that works a lot with acoustic
> instruments and doesn't send all of it through the mains (a dummer who
> only
> amplifies his bass drum), the microphone recording would be vastly
> superior.

Totally agreed.

Kris