new composition influenced by looping and some ramblings

Hi,

I'd like to share my latest composition with you entitled "The Sad
Little Ghost".

http://kevinkissinger.com/sadlittleghost.shtml

This is the first non-looping work I've composed for nearly a year
however I think my work with live looping has influenced my non-looped
work in a few ways, namely:

1) the orchestral tracks are minimal and utilize repetition -- similar
to looped material

2) the lead (theremin) part is economical -- eschewing "fireworks" and
focusing on expressive sustained notes.

I am grateful to the folks on the LD list for MANY ideas that have
become part of my musical vocabularly.  A few recent examples:

. in my organ improvisations I am much more inclined to play in a
"looped" style... while I am not looping via hardware I often build a
motive and then just keep it going in my left (or right) hand and then
weave melodies around it with my spare hand or feet.  (I don't know if
the church I play at is ready for hardware looping... however I may
try it sometime  **grins** )

. last Sunday, at the end of one improv, I played a single note melody
alone on a plantive stop... this was an idea suggested on the LD list.
  And, why not?  With loop devices we can turn one-note-a-time
instruments into ensembles.  Why not do the opposite and play a
polyphonic instrument as if it is a mono instrument?

Folks commented that my set at the Y2K7 Loopfest sounded "orchestral"
-- and I think that my interest in ensemble texture influenced that.
I have found over the last year that my looped and non-looped work
influence each other.

The Y2K7 Loopfest was like a massive recharge to my musical batteries.
  It was a chance to just sit back and soak up music from everyone.  I
think the word "unique" is overused in the music biz however each set
WAS unique and each was high-quality.

In particular, one of the challenges with looped music and with music
in general is to create effective endings.  To see the different
approaches to this aspect of looping was enlightening, to say the
least.   Incidentally, the ending to "The Sad Little Ghost" just flew
into my DAW ... no struggle.

Forgive my rambling here.  Though it has been a week since the
loopfest, I am still on a real "high" from it and look forward to
creating a lot of new looped and non-looped music as a result.

-- Kevin