Re: square waves

Daryl,
  A chorus effect is nothing more than a short delay (5-20ms) in which
the delay time is modulated by an LFO.  The LFO in a chorus is
usually a triangle wave, so that the delay time smoothly changes from
the shortest to the longest time.

Most 'harmonizer' type effects do not have an LFO, they use a
different method to produce a steady pitch shift.

The PCM-42 was designed as an early "multi purpose effect" if you
will.  By setting the delay time very very short (0 to 10ms) and
modulating it slowly, you will produce flanging effects. A slightly
longer delay (5-20ms) and a slightly faster modulation produces a
"Chorus" effect. Most delay effects have some sort of modulation, but
the PCM-42 was one of the few which has a square wave available in
the LFO ina ddition to the triangle wave.

http://www.zmix.net