Questions about Digitech Jamman start and stop loop recording

One of the more difficult problems with looping live is getting the loop to start and stop at the right place. Trying to do this raw by pressing the Record switch to start and stop has to be done very carefully to avoid a glitch in the sound if the start, stop, or both aren't aligned to the beat precisely.

The Jamman seems to solve half the problem, but not the whole. You can tap a tempo before recording, then press the Record switch one measure before you actually want to record. Recording will then start automatically on the beat after a 1 measure lead-in.

I found this pretty tricky to do in practice. You really have to know where the 1 is in the beat because when you press the Record switch, the Jamman starts on the 1 regardless of where it was in the previous measure. If you press somewhere in the middle of that measure, the Jamman will restart the 1 at that point and throw off the beat.

But the worse problem is at the end. There's no corresponding lead out. So you have to carefully press the Record switch at the exact point where the loop should stop recording and start the playback loop. If you're off a little, then there's be a glitch between the start and end of the loop and the timing could be off a little.

One other thing that makes this even a little more difficult is setting the beat while you're playing. You can tap the Stop switch to set the beat. It takes at least two taps. The odd thing is that its the second tap that establishes the 1, not the first. So you have to do the first tap on the 4 in 4/4 time in order to get the red flash on the 1. You can keep tapping to adjust the tempo faster or slower, but the 1 beat has been established.

One simple trick I found if you get the beat wrong. Just switch to another loop patch and switch back. That will erase the tempo and stop the rhythm track.

I have heard of other units that did a little more for synchronization. For example. Boss RC-2 has loop quantization. To start recording, you just press the switch anywhere in the measure and recording starts at the beginning of the next measure. At the end of the loop, you press the switch again anywhere in the last measure and recording stops automatically at the end of that measure. You still have to know where 1 is though. This really seems a lot easier.

Am I using the Jamman correctly, or does it simply not have this quantize feature, only a one-measure count-in and you have to be precise on setting the loop end? Anyone found any good, simple tricks to get reliable loops? Just got my today and am finding its going to take some parctice to use this live.