ReCycle, Loop Slicing, GURU (Re: FlyLoops and electronic instruments)

On 5 nov 2007, at 10.08, andy butler wrote:

> Sounds like a fantastic feature to put in a looper.
>
> ;-)

Yes, I fully agree with that!

I said the same thing to FXpansion when they rolled out the first
plans for what was going to become GURU. Sadly they could not find a
market out there to justify the development work (same answer they
gave me many years ago when I suggested them to develop a software
looper). Except for not dealing with real-time live input GURU has
some amazing new functions that draws on the heritage from
Propellerheads ReCycle/REX2. Any (already recorded) loop can be
thrown into GURU for automatic slicing (according to transients, or
"Hit Points" as Steinberg prefers to call them). Then the sounding
pitch of each slice is examined and every slice is being tagged as
for the part of a drum kit that the slice sounds most alike. And, as
the third stage, loop slices are mapped to MIDI notes according to
the GM standard (Roland's General MIDI standard, which goes
Note#36=Kick drum, Note#37=Rim Shit, Note#38=Snare drum one, etc
etc). And the fourth stage means instant playing back of the loop's
slices in the order dictated by a running pattern based MIDI Step
Sequencer. Isn't that cool!!!! :-)) Now, imagine how much more cool
it would be if you could simply sing or play into GURU and have your
live loop automatically scrambled into a "virtual drum kit" and
played back according to some sick sequence pattern! To really make
that an awesome live performance instrument you would also need some
MIDI drum pads to program the sequencer "MPC style" on-the-fly.

  A nice thing with GURU is that it has a Swing Beat controller
(simply a knob to delay beat 2 and 4). This is one thing I hope
Mobius will implement in the future; a percentage delay of any action
that happens on certain time beats. Ableton Live also has a "Groove
Factor" which is one thing I liked in using MIDI Clips in Live to
control Rate Shift of a running live loop (Augustus Loop or Mobius).
In todays version of Mobius you need to script sequences of rate
shifting and the pitch goes up and down on mathematically correct hit
points, which might not always be the musically most preferred way.
BTW, Numerology has an awesome implementation of "Global Groove
Clock" that can do this instant time shifting to every process that
happens in the applications (wow - isn't that cool. And you can
change the "groove feel" too while complex parts are running, just
like a well conducted orchestra plays with a changing rhythmic feel
during a piece of music). I'm surprised that not more developers have
looked into this, because micro timing is what makes music groove.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)