Re: Scripting/Command Chaining in the Max/MSP Kaiser Looper

On 5 nov 2007, at 22.52, Krispen Hartung wrote:

> Well, I've finally done it. All this talk about scripts and
> chaining commands in loopers, and my own experience using them with
> Mobius, compelled me to add some new objects to my Max/MSP Kaiser
> Looper to chain commands.  It was relatively simple. Basically, I
> already had some objects inside the looper that convert computer
> keypad presses into looping commands, like record, reverse, random
> speed change or shuffle, etc, in case I don't want to use my MIDI
> controller pedal. The object essentially converts a keypress into a
> number, like 50 for the "1" key, and then I route different
> numerical output values of the object to different objects in the
> looper that trigger commands. Taking advantage of this, I created a
> new object that chains numerals in a sequence, like 50 - - - - 51,
> where 50 is Record, - is one second, and 51 is Play. I create one
> simple text box/button with numbers and dashes inside it, run that
> into the key press object, and each command is executed in sequence
> and time delays.  I only had time to create one sequence, which
> recorded about 10 seconds of material on all four loop tracks, then
> reverses one, half speeds the second, double-speeds the third, and
> applies random speed change to the fourth. Basically, I loop for 10
> seconds and I get an explosion of sound as a result of the chaining.
>
> Any other cool ideas for chaining looping commands? I'd like to
> build 10 or so of these.

Hmm.... what else is there to do when you have already managed "an
explosion of sound in ten seconds"? ;-))  Don't know... anyway, here
are some wild ideas:

Rising Sounds:
Start at two octaves pitch up (may use "double-double-speed", "Rate
Shift = 24" or whatever you may call it). Then activate overdub mode
and lower the pitch; first rapidly but the lower the pitch gets the
slower the pitch-fall should go (this is to compensate for the speed
change to make the recorded pitch change happen at a steady pace).
The complete procedure should go on for at least half a minute, then
when reaching two octaves down overdub mode should stop and the pitch
should go back to normal while the loop is retriggered from the
beginning in sync with parallel loops (if working with sync).

Whining Halloweeny:
Same as above, but with a faster sine wave shaped pitch/rate shifting
curve that goes up and down many times during overdubbing.

Bass Dots:
Pitch up the loop two octaves, overdub very shortly and then go back
to normal. The short audio region overdubbed should now sound as
percussive bass hit in the loop. (In Mobius I also take down the rate
under normal for a short while, after overdubbing shortly at +24;
just to keep the loops timing steady, sort of compensating for the
loop going faster when at +24.

Hope that will keep you happily busy for a while... ;-)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)