computers suck creative energy

I am impressed, depressed...
I spent a lot of time switching from HW to SW myself, and I still
dont feel at home as you could see and hear at y2k7.
I had almost the same system for 15 years before, only upgrading
effect units, soldering arround in my fixed wiring sometimes to allow
some new control or combination, so that worked very intuitively to me.
But was it bug free? No! many times there was a bad contact
somewhere, usually coming up before the show, but sometimes during,
as well...
Sometimes some setting was changed and not as easy to find as in the
computer, where everything is preset, just open the right file and
all is the way you saved it...

I see the effort some musicians make from plain accoustic playing to
using HW effects. You did that step long time ago, possibly while
learning to play, so you dont even remember that.

There are a lot of side conditions of how you set up the computer. I
am using the same macbook pro for everything in my life, which is not
so serious. I should have a unit just for live playing and leave it
the way it is, until some change which is well tested on another
machine can be moved to the live computer - a week or so before the
next gig...

And this live computer could be a box with a touch screen and pedal
connected. A main drawback of the laptops are the exposed connectors
on its side. I think the whole setup should be ready wired in a save
box (I see that most loopers dont do this and spend a time hooking up
all their pedals and testing them each time they play). I actually
tried this with a mini mac in the same box as the pedal and the audio
interface, but failed, because the it has the video memory shared
with the main memory which produces clicks.

** always buy computers with video cards that have physical memory on
it (carefull, they try to cheat in specs!) **

Also, for the preliminary Mathons Polyphonic plugins, I spend over
50% of the processor power, so any accidental additional load can
create a click - or a gap, as I had 4 times at y2k7, and never
before... also, I was stupid enough to not even reboot the computer
before playing...

So I think we should
- learn how to do it best on what there is arround now
- not touch the solution when we have one and play it over a longer time
- hope for faster and smaller (no HD) machines in the future
- hope for more realtime oriented music OS (as the Linux guys are
working on, while Vista goes the other direction...)
- hope (or work) for better looping software...

>> difficult to just do what's needed and say "yup, it works, now
>> close the toolbox"
>>
> Yup, I follow you. My problem, at least in the PC world, is that
> the damn technology
> never lets you close the toolbox. :)

thats because you are not done with it yet. I bet we can come to a
arrangement we like so much that we stop looking at each plug that
comes out for a while and then make another upgrade when we feel like
- on a different machine...
Plus, you knew when you started using Max, that you were choosing the
steep way, but you wanted it because you want unlimited optinons. So
since the machine does not give you limits (as a RC20 would ;-) you
have to put a limit!

So yes, all this sucks creative energy, but its because we are really
creating something new and in the end can create new music with it,
so the sucked energy is fed back, in a way, no?

yeah, dont stop to play because of the computer, but dont just trash
what holds so much of your energy!

Matthias