Re: Boss RC-2 for a beginner?

Brad,

I have an RC2, and I think it's a really nice piece of gear for what
it does.  I think for the later of the two things you want to do, the
practice in the basement part, it would be great.  However if you are
implying that you want something to use live with your funk band,
that's a more complicated maneuver with the RC2.   I think you'll find
from the archives of this list that doing that and really making it
work involves sending a signal of just the loop (minus the live sound
of your guitar) to your drummer.  While not impossible to do with an
RC2, I think for someone just starting, it would be frustrating unless
you and your drummer want to really dig into what it would entail.
Especially in a funk band where tight rhythm is so important.

The RC50 has sub-outs built into it already and makes the signal to
drummer path much easier, but it's a/ more expensive by quite a bit
and b/ a more complicated unit to start with.

My two cents?  I'd spend a good bit of time getting the process of
looping down on your own before you bring it to the band.  In the end
it could be something very cool in that regard, but really nailing the
loop can be something that takes a bit of time to master.  I've known
some tremendous guitarists that struggled with it.

John