Re: Looking for a pitch shifter pedal

At 6:05 PM +0000 11/17/07, Ian Popperwell wrote:

>I play wind instruments, saxes, flute and sometimes wind synth. I
>use chorus and delay on my flute and want to get different
>possibilities of harmony and thickening of the sound. I have a Boss
>PS-5 pitch shifter pedal and have been disapointed with the thinness
>of the sounds that I get out - even a fourth up or down. I know that
>the further from the actual pitch , the grainier the sound, but some
>of it might be because the pedal's circuitary  is designed for
>guitar. I'm interested to hear if any LD members have used pitch
>shifters/harmonisers with instruments other than guitar to good
>effect? I really want to go for a pedal or at least small unit that
>can fit into my pedalboard -I don't want to take a rack around with
>me. I'm wondering about some of the Digitech Voocalist units or
>t.c./Hellicon units...?

Two thoughts, Ian:

First, if you're really into the Boss units, try one of the old
PS-3's instead of the PS-5.  I'm not going to say that it's
realistic, but it degrades in a much more pleasant manner than the
newer PS-5.  Many people (myself included) like that model for the
textures you're able to pull out of them.  BTW, the stereo detune
function is great for thickening up your sound with a small box --
better than most choruses even -- and is worth the price of the unit
alone.

Next, at the other extreme, I use one of the TC Helicon Voiceworks
units (the rackmount model) dedicated to my Yamaha VL70-m.  Even
though it's designed for shifting and harmonizing voices, it works
brilliantly for horns and wind instruments.  I can turn a sax patch
into an entire section quite easily, and it sounds believable.  Also,
the intelligent harmonization and part variation helps a lot.  I've
taken a monophonic slide guitar line (again, from the VL70-m and
turned it into a fantastic steel guitar patch played on my WX-11.
There's a floor pedal unit called the VoiceLive, I believe, which
could just as well fit your needs.

        --m.
--
_____
"Image is blasphemy. Text is heresy. The spoken word is a lie."