Re: Stockhausen, R.I.P.

Well, no question he didn't endear himself to anyone with his comments.
However, other than referring to "Lucifer" as the spirit of rebellion
and anarchy (which is positive in my book :-D ), Stockhausen says he's a
destructor, who does not know love. To me it doesn't seem as if he's
praising the act itself, at all. If he'd have simply said "it was a work
of art by the Devil himself", or "it was the ultimate masterpiece of
destruction", I think it'd be accepted that the sentiment is that it was
an evil act.

BTW, my personal definition of art is wide-ranging, and I accept
anything that involves creation with the intent of generating an
aesthetic reaction - a terrorist attack doesn't fall under this
guideline. I just think here that if someone as fearless as Sr.
Karlheinz actually admired the act, he'd have stood behind the simple
misquote of his words, or said something like "well, it certainly was a
brilliant plan" or something similar (and similarly offensive).

Daryl Shawn
www.swanwelder.com
www.chinapaintingmusic.com