Re: The Golden Age of Electronic/New Age Music

Are you referring to the electronic equivalent of rap music?

Art Simon <simart@gmail.com> wrote:
I guess it's in the eye of beholder. The combination of fast
computers, software synthesizers and dsp along with an appreciation
for the important (IMHO) of groove, means I'm more excited about music
right now than any other time, both as a player and listener. It
doesn't hurt that there seems to be a renewed interest and belated
appreciation of Miles Davis' music from the early 70s. The "On the
corner" box set made me aware of how important that piece was to my
own approach to music. Here's a good quote from allmusic.com:

"everything came down to only two things: rhythm and sound itself.
Serious questions were being asked in the making of this music, and
where it was going only manifested itself in the travel. How low could
you go? How little could you play? How much space was necessary to get
the groove to move and what would you fill it with?"

Which I guess is pretty much the essence of much contemporary
electronic music whether it's techno, drum & bass, triphop, acid jazz,
industrial, whatever. The thing that I always found missing from
stockhausen was the groove, and I'm happy to see it's central
importance to current electronic music.

On Dec 10, 2007 11:56 AM, Elmer Fuddski wrote:
> Is it just me? I've been listening to some older Christmas music (originally
> on cassette no less) entitled Carillon Christmas. I believe this work is
> from around 1985/1986. It put me in mind of all the great electronic,
> synthesizer-based recordings that were created around that timeframe. Much
> of my all-time favorite music stems from that period when synthesizers,
> samplers, etc. became affordable by mere mortals. I'm thinking of many, many
> works, but White Arcades from Harold Budd, Software's SYN CODE A, Steve
> Roach's Dreamtime Return and Steven Van Handel's Pearls of the Soul come to
> mind.
>
> Will the likes of an era ever come again?

Art Simon
simart@null.net
http://art.simon.tripod.com
http://www.myspace.com/artsimon