Zoom G2 fx review for loopers

Hi folks

when looking for a small-size MULTI-PURPOSE (!) mutli-effect box, I have
looked at various options. I have bought a Zoom G2 (actually G2.1u with
expression pedal) and I am extremely happy with it. Let me stress this: it
is theoretically a "guitar fx" but I haven't used it so far with a guitar
AT ALL! That's actually my whole point: it is really very handy for
multi-instrumental looping.
This is not going to replace your rack, but if you just take a little
effect box (can also run on batteries) with you - it is quite handy (i.e.
for vocals: add little compression, 6-band EQ, reverb/hall...,).
Also for loopers, the different delays/echo you can combine are great,
i.e. you could combine: Tape Echo + PingPong Delay (true stereo!) +
Multi-tap delay. Did I mention it has 5 second delay, too?

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/g2/

So, most products in the 100-200$ price range hardly had a _real_ multi-fx
chain. The Zoom G2 does!

First, let's start what it does NOT do:
- no MIDI (not even tempo sync)
- no stereo input (however, stereo output!! - was a great discovery :-)
- no nice USB features (what a shame, only simple audio interface...)
- no tweaking of 1000 parameters (just 3 knobs + tapping for each section)

On some functions, the lack of parameters might be annoying, still it is
quite versatile and musically useable.

Let's check some highlights in the whole FX chain of the Zoom G2:
1. COMPRESSION
You can only set slow/fast attack (no release settings). I'd like to see
more options here. But I guess, for most people it is a useable
compression (so much you can screw up with compression...). Don't expect
an LA-2A.

2. WAH/FILTER FX
Really nice auto wah/wah pedals/phaser, usual stuff. Really good, esp.
with expression pedal. Has both Cry Baby and Vox pedal simulation.
"Ring modulator" is great in a weird way.

3. NOISE REDUCTION
The home-grown "ZNR - Zoom Noise Reduction" works very well, really kills
the noise without effecting the signal too much. But I really prefer the
"Dirty Gate". It has a vintage character to it.

4. DRIVE
VERY nice amp simulations. From clean Roland JC over Mesa Boogie to "digi
fuzz"... Also, very nice Boss Overdrive OD-1 pedal effect.
These amp simulations really add a lot of character and have a drastic
effect on your sound. They don't sound like cheap plastic but really good.
A shame it is limited to guitar amps...

5. EQ
160Hz/800Hz/3.2Hz. Add the next section for 6-band EQ!

6. ADDTITIONAL EQ / CABINET&MIC
This is great: having additional EQ (400Hz, 6.4kHz, 12kHz) really gives
you much better control. OK, my Mackie EQs sound 1000% better, but if you
have just a pedal and a minimalistic setup, they are handy.
The "cabinet" really simulates a dynamic or condenser mic with positioning
and also has quite an effect on the sound.

7. MODULATION / ~TIME FXs
The usual Chorus (even stereo chorus for the stereo outs...), Flanger
stuff. "Step" is extreme. "Dynamic Flanger" is really sweet.
PITCH SHIFT:
Is great, has also additional "Harmonizer Pitch Shifter" that is adding
harmonies based on any major/minor scale (ain't no TC Electronic vocal
pedal, but ain't too bad, either.) There is also a dedicated "Mono Pitch
Shifter" that works really nice as octaver. Overall, really nice Pitch
Shift section.
DELAY(2sec)/TAPE ECHO/DYNAMIC DELAY:
This is not yet the "real" delay section. Still quite handy. Dynamic delay
is interesting. I'm not sure if you can use it like a duck delay?

8. DELAY (5000 ms)
So, here it is. Btw, you can also add an external pedal for tapping the
BPM.
"PingPong Delay" is really great (mind you: the Outputs are still stereo).
Echo also works 5ooo ms. If I get it right, you could also use the
additional external pedal for hold. I haven't really tried it, but I think
it's basicall like this: normally, depending on your feedback level, you
have a couple repeats. When you press hold, it keeps the same loop.. So:
no feedback, but also no new input signal. A real loop.

9. REVERB
Hall, Room, Spring, Early Reflection work good (but I don't have a 20.000$
Lexicon Hall at home, so I'm not an expert). "Multi tap delay" is really
one of the best - and worst things. Best = It works really great. Worst =
you can only choose from 8 (useful) patterns! Especially with the Zoom
G2.1u, I'm thinking: Hey, this thing has USB. Why not offer a small
software interface where you can tweak/import/export all parameters (incl.
custom multi tap patterns)? Shouldn't be too hard to implement...

10. CONTROL
This is really an absolute shame: You can adjust master level - but only
globally. I wish could do this for _each_ single patch and (why not?) also
panning would be nice. Unfortunately, this is just global.  It's really a
pity because the way I loop  is like this: i.e. patch 00 for bass
drum/snare, 01 for hi hats, 02 for bass line, 03 for harmonies, 04 for
vocals... In terms of  volume the punchy compressed patch 00 for bass drum
sounds much louder than the silky chorus harmonies in patch 03. It would
have been really great to be able to compensate that with simple volume
setting for each patch, not just globally.

Well, to some it up. The Zoom G2 is more than I've expected in this range.
Actually, I wanted to use it only for my mobile, battery-driven setting
(along with my Roland Micro Cube and Edirol M-10MX mixer). I actually
wanted to get a used  Boss VF-1 first. But I don't need MIDI control (yet
;-) and when I discovered that the G2 has stereo outs, that was enough for
me. Pan delay is really the only important stereo effect I need. It works
great (i.e. with pan tapping). All other stuff is placed in the loop
stereo mix anyway via panning.
Still, in this price range the Zoom G2 and a used Boss VF-1 are probably
the only real options for me. I haven't tested the Boss VF-1. But I could
imagine that besides the evident differences (size, midi, stereo ins,
...), the Zoom would be more state of the art (can't imagine that the Boss
sounds thtat good especially with the amp simulations...).

Especially when you really do a market comparison, you have all these
pseudo "multi-effects": they do have chorus/delay/reverb/flanger etc. But
only in a specific combination. Here, the Zoom G2 offers a real effect
chain of 9 sections with 1-8 different options and 3-4 parameters for each
section.

By the way: I have also checked the similar products for bass (B2) and
acoustic guitar (A2). Imo, these are mostly limited versions of the G2.
They don't offer many other features, but rather limit the G2 feature set
to accomodate specific needs. For example, the B2 only offers Octave pitch
shift. However, the Zoom G2 can pitch shift and down also an octave but
also all the pitches in between...
So, unless you really need specific features of the A2/B2 (i.e. Bass
amps...), you might be more versatile with the G2.

Even if you don't "really" need it: check out the pedal version G2.1u .
It's really convenient for certain parameters.

So, I hope I was able to give you a little impression of this tool. Again,
this is no replacement for your channel strip, but it is also quite
versatile beyond the usual trashy guitar patches. As usual, the Zoom
standard patches are quite "grungy" and you could attest them a certain
"synthetic" character. Still, a little chorus, flanger or reverb can be
useful for also your acoustic setup and other instruments - without or
beyond guitars. The modulation/filter effects have really useful
parameters that can be used quite musically and can prduce, along with
reverb settings, nice ambient spheres. Finally, for looping artists the
possibility to chain up to 3 different sections with delay-type effects
and the 5 sec. delay may be interesting.

Best regards
Buzap

PS: I don't get any discounts for promoting Zoom ;-) (and also not the
RC50 for that matter! ;-))