Re: midi controlled looping video on itunes

On 15 dec 2007, at 22.17, info at zoekeating wrote:

> interesting musical times these are! augustus loop i like, but i
> find the interface hard to monitor. i've got my hopes pinned on the
> repeater software, but i'm already wondering how i'll monitor the
> status of that while i've got ableton going on. with ableton +
> hardware, i can quickly see the status of both. but there is only
> so much screen real-estate. we'll see how it pans out.

Yes, I agree with you. Augustus i just too big. Some years ago people
on this list offered to write a graphic monitoring interface for a
couple of Augustus Loop to be run in Ableton Live. But then Mobius
came around and I didn't remind them more on that ;-))

I have recently been checking out Apple's MainStage, which comes
bundled with Logic 8 Studio. It's a performance rack applications for
virtual instruments and audio input plug-ins. It's quite configurable
and you can build a graphic interface that shows the mode of all
parameters in Augustus Loop. I did that, but unfortunately it's not
totally stable. Will probably become that though, since Apple seems
to put a lot of effort into their music software. But who knows how
long time that might take!

As I understand it the Virtual Repeater will be a host application.
That might mean trouble running it together with Ableton Live. But
you should be able to run only the VR and use other plug-ins inside it.

> what is EWI??

Electric Wind Instrument. It looks just as lame as a clarinet but it
is a touch sensitive monster MIDI controller (and a synth in its own
right as well). When you play it tracks your body in many ways;
Breath (how hard you blow into it translates into volume/resonance
etc), bite (how hard you bite the mouthpiece may translate into
vibrato and subtle change of timbre), fingering (finger notes as with
a saxophone), pitch-bend (slide right thumb up or down), glissando/
portamento (touch a slide trail with your left thumb to make notes
glide in slurs), sustain pedal (hit an on/off toggle with your right
hand) and finally group two notes for parallel harmony playing at any
interval (also hitting a toggle with right hand).

The thing is that all this parameter controlling options is SIMPLE,
because they work ergonomically close to how you play the instrument.
It's very natural and intuitive. And since the the physical
controller surface is so perfected you can really come up with
exciting electronic sounds to play over MIDI. It's like a dream with
no limits.

http://www.ewi-evi.com/

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen